This Week in Virology
Created on Monday, 20 April 2009 15:34
Written by profvrr
In episode 28 of This Week in Virology
, hosts Vincent Racaniello
, Alan Dove
, Dick Despommier
, and Eric F. Donaldson
discuss a new test for influenza H5N1, poliovirus in Minnesota, Koala retrovirus, batteries made from viruses, and SARS.
Links for this episode:
- New rapid test for influenza H5N1 based on PDZ binding. Definition of ELISA.
- Poliovirus isolated from Minnesotan (article 1 and 2)
- Koala retrovirus: Japan story and review article
- Batteries made from viruses (cathode and anode). Image of phage M13.
- iMoleBuilder (iTunes link and review at Sunset Lake Software)
- Discovery of Norwalk virus
- Regulatin’ Genes (YouTube link)
Science blog of the week: The Great Beyond by Nature
Science podcast pick of the week: Sorting Out Science
Science book of the week: A Slot Machine, A Broken Test Tube by S.E. Luria (out of print - check your library)
Please send your virology questions and comments to twiv [at] twiv [dot] tv.
To listen, click the play button below. You can subscribe for free to TWIV via iTunes, through the RSS feed with a podcast aggregator or feed reader, or by email.
Download TWiV #28 (51 MB .mp3, 74 minutes)
Sponsor: Try GotoMyPC free for 30 days! For this special offer, visit www.gotomypc.com/podcast