A relatively new strain of toxic germ is making the rounds in hospitals around the Valley.
“It’s not a supergerm,” said Dr. Bob England, Director of the Maricopa County Health Department.
“This is a stronger version of a very common strain and it can make you very sick,” Dr. England explained Sunday.
The strain was first identified at Banner Baywood Medical Center in the East Valley.
They then notified the County Health Department.
The County says at least 10 people have been infected since March. Two of them died, but pinpointing a cause of death is difficult because all of the victims were elderly and suffered from other illnesses.
Dr. England says this strain has probably spread to other hospitals and most other large cities across America.
“It just means we have do to a better job of identifying and stopping it,” he said.
The best defense according to Dr. England? Wash your hands and don’t take antibiotics unless your doctor tells you to.